Medium: Single Channel Video
Duration: 5 Minutes
“The Return” is an attempt by the artist to recall his lost memories of his father who died in the car accident in 1991 when the artist was almost five years old. Personal family photographs from his father’s funeral are overlaid with the imagined voice by the artist himself, fictionalising that his dead father is coming back to life—a strange and moving feedback loop between father and son, between photographic documentation and deteriorating memories, between personal history and its own otherness.
Screenings and Exhibitions:
- “The Ghosts We Recall”, Asian Film Archive, Oldham Theater, Singapore
- FICTION NON FICTION exhibition, Passion Cinematheque, Macau.
- “This Moment: Thailand”, Asia Culture Center, Gwangju, South Korea.
- “A Brief History of Memory”, 4th Moscow International Biennale for Young Art, Moscow Museum of Modern Art, Moscow, Russia.
- “Human Frames”, Kunst im Tunnel, Düsseldorf, Germany (touring program to —-Substation Singapore/Mediastar TV Center, Düsseldorf/ Werkstatt der Kulturen, Berlin/ I.Boat, Bordeaux, France/ Nuit Blanche 2013”, La Perle, Paris, France/ Société de Curiosité”, Paris, France )
- The 6th Singapore Short Film Festival, Singapore
- “Spectral Reverberations”, Light & Wire Gallery.
- “Pain”, Festival Video in Progress 4: Feeling of Distress, Kinodvor, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- “Hypothesis”, Bioscope, Bangkok, Thailand
- “Thailand Present: Artist in Focus: Tulapop Saenjaroen”, Club eX, Korean National Film Archive, South Korea
- “Home”, Betty Rymer gallery, Chicago, IL, USA
- “The Reunion”, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
- “Artists Cinema: “In Between Narrative and Experimental”, 6th Bangkok Experimental Film Festival, Thai Film Archive, Bangkok, Thailand